The Novel Editors
Home | Editing and Placement | Application | Bios and Testimonials | Google MTM | Contact
First Line to Final Contract
The problem with "one pass" editing is that the most important things are the problems we flag in the comments, and authors will need to heavily rewrite after reviewing our comments, and they will likely need more editing once they’ve finished...
If MTM takes you on as a client, you will receive the following array of services:
- Derek Murphy, CNN Consultant, Book editor
- A preliminary foundational review of your novel or nonfiction based on a comprehensive synopsis or outline as well as samples of your prose narrative, especially your opening chapter, and further chapters as necessary. The goal of this first review is to address crucial major elements that must be added or edited prior to proceeding to the next level of review. For example, if you are writing a tightly plotted genre novel (thriller, SFF, mystery, historical, etc.) and your inciting incident or first major plot point is nonexistent, we flag the problem and assist you with the insertion of that plot element in the manuscript. If your major character needs to be more sympathetic, interesting or unique in the opening 20 pages, we flag that issue and work with you to remedy. In short, we do whatever it takes to properly prepare the manuscript for the second review.
Communications with your editor will take place by email and/or by phone as appropriate and necessary.
- Once the above process is completed and the manuscript edited, the next review consists of a thorough read of this new manuscript followed by developmental and editorial notes marked onto the manuscript itself as well as in a separate written review organized by major categories (opening hook, plot line(s), premise, character arcs, theme, etc.). The formal written review will be as long as it needs to be because the length will naturally vary for each manuscript (ranging five to 12 pages, or more). In the context of your manuscript, the review will address all the necessary details that pertain to writing successful novel-length fiction, including but not limited to: scene architecture and composition, complications and dramatic rising action, suspenseful circumstance and setting elements, prose narrative style fixes, insertion of tension lines and foreshadowing.
- An indefinite number of follow-up phone consultations with one of our editors to discuss the results and plan the second rewrite of the manuscript.
- Ongoing advice and guidance, as necessary, to help you acquire skills and gain whatever knowledge is required to assist with the rewrite of the manuscript.
- Access to the first eight novel development course modules of the Algonkian Novel Writing Program, as necessary, to facilitate methodical progress on the rewriting of the manuscript. This is optional for you, but we will recommend if we believe it productive.
- A follow-up review of your revised and rewritten manuscript based on your new outline, opening hook, and writing samples, followed by an additional phone consult to discuss and plan. If necessary, additional rewrites of the manuscript will take place at this time.
- If appropriate and all parties agree, we will provide assistance and guidance with writing query letters, as well as identifying the right mix of agents via Publisher's Marketplace. And again, if appropriate, and in consideration of the fact that as our client you are networked into the publishing business via our relationship, we will assist however we can using our own business contacts to facilitate your success.
- Finally, we develop a professional relationship with you that mandates an understanding of your needs. We work with you to develop your strengths and resolve weaknesses. We consider it a success if we enable our writers to write with purpose and vision.
Questions to Ask Yourself
Whether or not you choose to utilize our services, ask yourself the following questions before you engage any novel editing service:
- Do you get to review the credentials of the precise person who will be working on your ms?
- Do the credentials include any real-time experience working in tandem with New York publishing or mid-sized publishers or quality independent presses?
- Is there a demonstrable track record of commercial or literary publication of any kind associated with past clients of this particular person who will be editing your manuscript?
- Is the proposed editor person an actual writer of fiction, narrative nonfiction or novels with a track record of any kind? (self-publishing not included)
- Do the accolades or testimonials about the business appear to include a lot of buzz phrasing rather than pointers to actual contracts?
A Few Particulars
Our editorial services fee is $3760.00 for manuscripts up to 90,000 words, and $300.00 for every additional 10,000 words. It includes all three levels of developmental editing, unlimited communications and consults, two editors, and all other services as noted above.
Contact us at manuscriptstomarket @ newyorkpitchconference.com with any questions you may have.
Due to ethics rules for agents, representation by our particular agent faculty is not an option for clients. However, we will use our resources and network to assist you with finding an agent or publisher should that opportunity arise and all parties concerned are in agreement.
Writers in the editorial program receive a 50 to 70% discount (depending on their needs) if they wish to attend the New York Pitch Conference to assist with the launching of their novel into the commercial realm. We highly recommend.
Home | Editing and Placement Details | Application | Editor Bios | Contact
TOP OF PAGE