The Novel Editors
Home | Editing and Placement | Application | Bios and Testimonials | Google MTM | Contact
First Line to Final Contract
If we decide to take you on as a client following our review of your goals and other pertinent information, you will receive the following array of services:
- A preliminary foundational review of your novel or nonfiction based on a comprehensive synopsis or outline as well as samples of your prose narrative, especially your opening chapter, and further chapters as necessary. The goal of this first review is to address crucial major elements that must be added or edited prior to proceeding to the next level of review. For example, if you are writing a tightly plotted genre novel (thriller, SFF, mystery, historical, etc.) and your inciting incident or first major plot point is nonexistent, we flag the problem and assist you with the insertion of that plot element in the manuscript. If your major character needs to be more sympathetic, interesting or unique in the opening 20 pages, we flag that issue and work with you to remedy. In short, we do whatever it takes to properly prepare the manuscript for the second review.
Communications with your editor will take place by email and/or by phone as appropriate and necessary.
- Once the above process is completed and the manuscript edited, the next review consists of a thorough read of this new manuscript followed by developmental and editorial notes marked onto the manuscript itself as well as in a separate written review organized by major categories (opening hook, plot line(s), premise, character arcs, theme, etc.). The formal written review will be as long as it needs to be because the length will naturally vary for each manuscript (ranging five to 12 pages, or more). In the context of your manuscript, the review will address all the necessary details that pertain to writing successful novel-length fiction, including but not limited to: scene architecture and composition, complications and dramatic rising action, suspenseful circumstance and setting elements, prose narrative style fixes, insertion of tension lines and foreshadowing.
- An indefinite number of follow-up phone consultations with one of our editors to discuss the results and plan the second rewrite of the manuscript.
- Ongoing advice and guidance, as necessary, to help you acquire skills and gain whatever knowledge is required to assist with the rewrite of the manuscript.
- Access to the first eight novel development course modules of the Algonkian Novel Writing Program, as necessary, to facilitate methodical progress on the rewriting of the manuscript. This is optional for you, but we will recommend if we believe it productive.
- A follow-up review of your revised and rewritten manuscript based on your new outline, opening hook, and writing samples, followed by an additional phone consult to discuss and plan. If necessary, additional rewrites of the manuscript will take place at this time.
- If appropriate and all parties agree, we will provide assistance and guidance with writing query letters, as well as identifying the right mix of agents via Publisher's Marketplace. And again, if appropriate, and in consideration of the fact that as our client you are networked into the publishing business via our relationship, we will assist however we can using our own business contacts to facilitate your success.
- Finally, we develop a professional relationship with you that mandates an understanding of your needs. We work with you to develop your strengths and resolve weaknesses. We consider it a success if we enable our writers to write with purpose and vision.
Home | Editing and Placement Details | Application | Editor Bios | Contact
TOP OF PAGE